“We do not have a diphtheria outbreak,” Dr. Anthony Calibo, OIC-chief of the Department of Health (DOH) Children’s Health Development Division-Disease Prevention and Control Bureau, said.
Still, Calibo said, “the mortality is unacceptable” because the disease is “readily preventable through vaccination.”
Calibo also said the number of reported diphtheria cases is “relatively falling within the usual range” that the health department tracks every year.
From January 1 to Sept. 7 this year, the DOH monitored 167 cases of diphtheria nationwide, 40 of which led to deaths.
In the same period last year, the agency monitored 122 diphtheria cases and 30 deaths due to the disease. –
Feb 7, 2019
MANILA, Philippines (Update 2, 12:30 p.m.) — The Department of Health on Thursday expanded the outbreak of the highly-contagious measles to other areas in Luzon, and Central and Eastern Visayas.
Data from the DOH Epidemiology Bureau showed that the number of measles cases in Ilocos region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, CALABARZON, MIMAROPA and Bicol region has shown an “increasing trend” as of January 26.
Health officials are encouraging parents to have their children shot for their protection.
“Wag silang mag-alala dahil itong mga bakuna ay dumaan sa mga quality na mga procedure upang maibigay natin itong ligtas sa publiko,” Dr. Reyes explained. (They have nothing to worry about because these vaccines have gone through quality procedures so that we can administer it safely to the public.)
“After a measles outbreak in Davao last January, as well as another outbreak last month in Zamboanga, the DOH now declares that there is an outbreak of measles in certain parts of Taguig.”
As a result of these outbreaks, the DOH urges parents to vaccinate their kids against measles.
A high school student a receives diphtheria vaccination at an Outbreak Response Immunization clinic in Cengkareng, Jakarta as health authorities try to contain a sharp rise in cases of diphtheria. -credit to: Widodo S Jusuf, Antara Foto/ via Reuters